Credit for Prior Learning
Apply Now for Fall 2023
Class begin September 8
You may be able to turn your knowledge, skills and credentials into college credit towards your degree with LaGuardia Community College’s Credits for Success!
About Credit for Prior Learning (CPL)
Credit for Prior Learning allows you to earn credit for college level learning you have gained outside the traditional college classroom. CPL is not awarded for experience; it is awarded for college level learning gained from experience.
If you have applicable work, military or volunteer experience; certifications, licenses or industry credentials; or have completed professional training programs, you may be eligible for CPL.
Earning credits for prior learning may help you save time and money on your way to a degree at LaGuardia Community College!
What Can Be Assessed for Credits
- Military Training and Occupations
- Standardized Exams
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Advanced Placement (AP)
- DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)
- Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT)
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Industry Certifications and Credential
- Portfolio Assessment
- A CPL portfolio is a collection of materials documenting what you have learned, where you learned it, and how that learning equates to college level learning. Parallels are made between course outcomes, as stated on course syllabi, and evidence of your learning through work, volunteering and other experiences through written narratives.
To be eligible for CPL, you must have:
- Applied for admission to LaGuardia and be enrolled in classes
- Declared a program of study
- Completed the CPL inquiry form
Once you have applied to LaGuardia, you should begin gathering earned certificates or documentation of your prior learning. After you have become a matriculated students, the Credit for Prior Learning team will contact you to review your prior learning.