College Discovery (CD) was developed at CUNY to assist students who have the potential to succeed in college but lack the educational foundation and economic resources necessary to pursue a degree. At LaGuardia, CD helps students see new paths and open new doors, not only academically but also in social and occupational endeavors through a variety of support services, including counseling, new student seminars, tutoring, supplemental instruction and financial aid.
College Discovery accepts all majors. If you are planning to attend LaGuardia as a first-time college student, we invite you to attend an online info session or apply.
Why Should You Apply?
Get help paying for college and receive extra academic support at LaGuardia and beyond. CD program benefits will continue when you transfer to a senior college all the way up to the graduate level.
In addition to financial aid available to all students, CD students receive supplemental assistance for educational expenses, such as:
- Books and supplies
- College fees
CD students are also eligible to receive a waiver for the CUNY application fee.
The College Discovery Resource Center provides a variety of academic support services that aim to strengthen your basic skills, bolster your success in upper-level college courses and keep you on the path to graduation. Supplemental instruction and tutoring support services are available, including:
- Individual, group, and classroom tutoring
- Supplemental instruction hours for high-risk academic courses
- Peer study groups
- Course review groups
- Computer-assisted academic instruction
CD collaborates with college academic departments to create learning communities and identify specific courses that may benefit from supplemental instruction the most. Through CD, you may also get the chance to participate in activities like field trips, cultural events, leadership training workshops and academic conference presentations.
Upon admission, you’ll be assigned to a CD counselor who will help you navigate issues that could otherwise become a barrier to your academic success and your ability to remain in college. Through individual and group sessions, counselors will help you set personal, academic and career goals. Students often develop close relationships with their counselors, and counselors often continue to serve as mentors even beyond graduation. Consider the counseling office your home away from home.
CD also offers special counseling workshops and seminars on topics such as:
- Selecting a major
- Understanding college policies and procedures
- Time management
- Maintaining mental health and wellness
- Choosing a career
- Transferring to a senior college
XAE Honor Society
Chi Alpha Epsilon was formed to recognize the academic achievements of students admitted to colleges and universities through nontraditional criteria or who utilize developmental and educational support services, such as College Discovery, SEEK and EOP/HEOP. Its purpose is to promote continued high academic standards, foster increased communication and networking among its members and alumni and honor the academic excellence of those students admitted to college via developmental/opportunity program pathways or for those who participate in student support services.
For more information, email Kyoko Toyama at email@example.com.
CD Club members get involved in volunteer work in and around our area to make a positive impact on the environment as well as our community.
How to Apply?
Program slots are limited, so be sure to complete the following steps as early as possible to be considered.
Check if you’re eligible.
If you are a talented and motivated individual whose academic record does not reflect your full potential and you are from a low-income family, CD may be for you. You’re eligible to apply if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You are a high school graduate or hold a High School Equivalency diploma
- You are a first-time college freshman
- You are a SEEK/EOP/HEOP transfer student*
- You have a college admissions average below 80% OR a High School Equivalency
- Your family income and other available financial resources fall within guidelines established by New York State
- You can attend a pre-freshman summer session if you do not satisfy the University Basic Skill proficiency criteria in English or Mathematics
All majors are eligible, but you cannot participate in both ASAP and College Discovery. Compare the two programs.
*If you are a current SEEK student looking to transfer into the LaGuardia CD program, please contact our office for more information.
- Apply to CUNY and complete the Special Programs (SEEK and College Discovery) section of the application.
- Contact us to see if you’re eligible for a CUNY Application Waiver.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and apply for New York State TAP through the FAFSA application.
- Not all eligible students are accepted to CD; submit applications early to increase your chances of acceptance.
|Elizabeth Anderson, Ed.M., MHC-LP
|Supplemental Instruction Coordinator
|Anne Avalos, M.S. Ed., MBA
|Sundeese Borden, FDC, LMHC, NCC, LPC
|Marianne Kaukiainen, M.A.
|College Discovery Associate, Academic Resource
|College Discovery Associate, Administration
|College Discovery Associate, Financial Aid
|Roni Patterson, Ed.M., M.A., L.M.H.C.
|Julianne Salazar, MPA
|Kyoko Toyama, Ph.D. L.M.H.C.