Student Behavioral Intervention Team

Contact Us

Hours of Operation

Report behavior: Student Incident Report Form

General questions: Student Affairs Feedback Form

SBIT Core Team

Shante Bassett
Health & Wellness
Room: C-249
Phone: (718) 730-7593

Luke Cardaio
Student Advocate/Ombuds Officer
Room: C-317
Phone: (718) 482-6072

Jhony Nelson
Office for Students with Disabilities
Room: M-102
Phone: (718) 482-5260

Yvonne Gaul
Public Safety
Room: M-145
Phone: (718) 482-5567

Luz M. Royal
Emergency Services Technician
Room: MB-40
Phone: (718) 482-5280

Liz Christian
Public Safety
Room: M-145
Phone: (718) 482-5558

Colleges and universities around the country are concerned about suicides, campus shootings, and other important issues. Students who exhibit inappropriate or unusual behaviors that might present a danger or threat to themselves or their campus communities — but these situations can be avoided. As part of the Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities/Advocacy (OSRR/A), the Student Behavioral Intervention Team (SBIT) addresses these issues by helping the College community recognize types of crises and step in as needed.

Complete the Student Incident Report Form to report student behavior.

Emergency? If a student is a danger to self and others, call Public Safety at 718-482-5555.

What We Do

  • Serve as the central point of contact for reporting aberrant student behavior
  • Provide consultation for assisting individuals who display concerning behaviors
  • Identify behavioral patterns and determine the level of risk and intervention methods
  • Recommend appropriate disciplinary sanctions
  • Connect individuals with campus and community resources
  • Monitor ongoing behavior that may present a risk or threat to the individual or the campus community


Can I submit an anonymous report?

Yes, but remaining anonymous can pose an obstacle if SBIT needs additional information to help a student in need. Therefore, we would like to have your contact information in case we need additional information.

What information do I provide? Be sure to complete all the fields in the Student Incident Report Form, if possible. Reporters should classify their report by the level of risk.

How do I refer a student to SBIT?
Complete and submit the Student Incident Report Form.
If there is an emergency, call Public Safety at 718-482-5555.

What should I report to SBIT?
Report behavior that is perceived to be threatening and/or harmful to the student or others of the College community, including:

  • Unusual or erratic behavior in class
  • Extended absence from class by a typically engaged student
  • Written class work with troubling themes or references
  • Verbal or written threats made by a student toward another student, faculty or staff
  • Verbal or written expressions of suicide ideation
  • Extreme rudeness or insubordination to university officials, staff, faculty or administrators or other students
  • Classroom disruption
  • Other actions which cause an alarm or call into question the safety of the student or their peers

I am not sure if this is an SBIT issue; what should I do?

  • You do not have to make the determination; SBIT will do it for you! The most critical step is that you report it. If another campus resource is more appropriate, SBIT will refer the student and handle the transfer information.
  • Typically, behaviors that pose a threat to safety or that cause a significant community disruption qualify as an SBIT issue
  • If you have a general question, feel free to submit it via the Student Affairs Feedback Form.

Who can make a SBIT referral?
Anyone who feels a student is a threat to themselves and/or the College community can make an SBIT referral. This includes students, faculty, staff, parents, visitors and other community members.

What happens after I report a student to SBIT?

  • SBIT may contact you in order to get additional information and/or other crucial details.
  • If SBIT decides the student of concern is appropriate for SBIT, the student will be instructed to undergo an assessment by a counselor.
  • The type of assessment is dependent on the behavior. Students are generally required to undergo a minimum of four sessions of assessment by the counseling staff.

Will my name be revealed to the student I am concerned about?
If you prefer that your name not be revealed to the student you are concerned about, it will be kept confidential.

In some cases, you may be the only person who knows the information you’re reporting — which means the student you are concerned about may know the source. SBIT will always discuss this matter with you before taking any action that would make your identity known.