The A.S. degree in Environmental Science at LaGuardia Community College provides students with a broad, interdisciplinary, hands-on curriculum through which to study environmental topics. Grounded in the sciences, students develop a deep understanding of the complexity of current environmental challenges through the integration of coursework and research with real-world experiences including internships and volunteer events.
This major has three tracks or options: (1) General Environmental Science, (2) Sustainable Urban Agriculture and (3) Animal Science
The General Option is for students interested in solving environmental challenges in a changing world. In this option you will learn how ecological systems work and how they can be improved to provide solutions for environmental problems including natural resource management, biodiversity conservation, and climate change. Students in this track are involved in internships and research projects focused on coastal resilience, water quality, air pollution, climate and weather, GIS, urban sustainability, and park management and restoration. This option includes courses such as geospatial information systems (GIS), ecology, and environmental science.
Skills You Will Learn
What makes this major unique?
The General Environmental Science option examines life at higher levels of organization, such as communities of species and ecosystems. Environmental Scientists examine how systems work and can be improved in order to provide solutions for environmental problems and study issues surrounding environmental justice, sustainability, and climate change.
Due to the effects of climate change, air, water, and soil pollution, the need for sustainable energy and restoration solutions jobs in the green sector are expected to grow, and expertise in understanding sustainable systems are expected to remain in high demand. The Occupational Outlook Handbook from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics states, “Employment of environmental scientists and specialists is projected to grow 8 percent from 2020 to 2030, about as fast as the average for all occupations. About 9,400 openings for environmental scientists and specialists are projected each year, on average, over the decade.” In addition, a Purdue university report states, “In the United States between 2020 and 2025 we expect employment opportunities to remain strong for new college graduates with interest and expertise in food, agriculture, renewable natural resources and the environment (FARNRE). Approximately 59,400 openings annually reflect a 2.6% growth in employment opportunities from the previous five years. Approximately 61% of the positions will be filled by new college graduates with FARNRE degrees, and the other 39% by new graduates with degrees from allied fields (biology, mechanical engineering, accounting, journalism, etc.)”
This program has a waiver to require STEM courses in the Common Core.
A. REQUIRED CORE: 13 credits
English: 6 credits
Mathematical and Quantitative Reasoning: 3 credits
Select one of the following courses – 3
Life & Physical Sciences: 4 credits
B. FLEXIBLE CORE: 18 Credits
Select one course from each of the five flexible core categories AND one additional course from any flexible core category:
Students are required to select one Urban Study course to complete college requirement. To complete the degree requirements from the Flexible Core, students are advised to select courses from the recommended course selections listed on the program website. Note: Students can select only two courses from any one discipline.
|Natural Sciences: 10 Credits|
|NSF101 First Year Seminar for Natural Sciences||2|
|SCB265 Fundamentals of Ecology||4|
|SCG250 Environmental Science||4|
|ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE TRACK: 18 Credits|
|SCB260 General Microbiology||4|
|SCC201 General Chemistry I||4|
|SCC202 General Chemistry II||4|
|SCG150 Introduction to Geographic Information Systems||4|
Graduate in Two Years!
Review your Degree Map to stay on track.