Undocumented and Out-of-Status Students

If you are an undocumented or out-of-status student, you may qualify for the residential rate of tuition for non-residents of New York State. A law provides in-state (resident) tuition benefits to certain undocumented students who meet one of the following eligibility criteria:

  1. You attended an approved New York State high school for two years and graduated from an approved New York State high school, and you attend CUNY within five years of receiving a New York State high school diploma.
  2. You completed an approved New York State program for General Equivalency Diploma (GED) exam preparation, received a GED issued within New York State, and attend CUNY within five years of receiving a New York State GED.
  3. You were enrolled in CUNY in the Fall 2001 semester or quarter and were authorized by CUNY to pay tuition at the resident rate. Thus, a student who attended CUNY in the Fall 2001 semester and paid the resident rate does not have to satisfy either condition 1 or 2 above.

In addition, students without lawful immigration status must file a notarized affidavit stating that they have filed an application to legalize their immigration status or will file such an application as soon as they are eligible to do so.

The law applies not only prospectively, but also to the Spring and Summer 2002 semesters. Accordingly, undocumented or out-of-status immigrant students who were previously charged the non-resident rate of tuition for the Spring 2002 and Summer 2002 semesters are eligible for the resident rate of tuition for that semester if they can satisfy the conditions of the new law.


Please fill out and have notarized the Residency Affidavit Form. Then, bring the completed form and your original New York State high school or GED diploma to one of the following offices:

New students to LaGuardia – Office of Admissions in C-102
Questions? Contact Ms. Adja Assoumanou at 718-482-5105 or aassoumanou@lagcc.cuny.edu.

Continuing students – Office of the Registrar in C-107
Questions? Contact Ms. Carmen Marte at 718-482-5051 or cmarte@lagcc.cuny.edu.

The appeal of a Residency Determination

Important note: You have the right to appeal a non-New York City/State residence determination.

If you wish to appeal, you must notify, in writing, the office where you submitted your application, within 10 days of being notified of the non-resident determination. This statement should indicate why you disagree with the decision, and it should be placed in a sealed envelope with your name on it.

The office where you submitted your application to will submit the Residency Form and copies of all documentation and statements provided by you, along with the determination made by the College, to the CUNY Office of the Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs and General Counsel.