Celebrating the Impact of LaGuardia Community College’s Historic $15 Million Tomorrow Campaign

LONG ISLAND CITY, NY (April 18, 2023) — One year ago, LaGuardia Community College/CUNY succeeded in its most ambitious fundraising effort to date—raising $15 million to help students impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic to stay in school and complete their degrees. To date, more than 11,000 awards have been given out to LaGuardia students from the Tomorrow Campaign, totaling $10 million in student aid.

“The impact of the Tomorrow Campaign on our students cannot be overstated,” said Kenneth Adams, President of LaGuardia Community College. “When our students experience times of crisis or uncertainty, LaGuardia can be there to pick them up and help them stay in school and get to graduation. We are extremely grateful to our donors and the investments they’ve made in our students. With the Tomorrow funds, thousands of our students are staying in LaGuardia and completing their degrees or certificates and moving into the New York City economy. The students, their families, and our communities all benefit.”

Over 94% of the monies raised by  LaGuardia Community College Foundation for the campaign are used directly for student support, with the remaining 6% devoted to endowment for the same purpose. Since the campaign began in July 2021, the funds have provided scholarships for both degree-seeking and workforce training students; emergency grants to help students with back rent, utilities, and tuition bills; and stipends to enable students take part in paid career-developing internships throughout New York City as well as jobs on the LaGuardia campus.

Students who receive aid from the Foundation are twice as likely to graduate. Consistent with Foundation’s mission, funds are given out to students with the most urgent needs, as quickly and efficiently as possible. The Foundation supports students regardless of immigration or citizenship status, full-time or part-time enrollment, or if they’re in a degree or non-degree program. This broad accessibility bridges gaps in federal and state financial aid programs.

Students who have received support from the Tomorrow Campaign include:

Vildana Khamidullina, a Journalism major who emigrated to the U.S. from Russia at age 18. “Today I’m a LaGuardia Community College student and a peer advisor on campus. It’s all thanks to the Tomorrow Campaign, so thank you very much; I really appreciate it.”

Pahlabi Mahmudul, who moved to New York City from Bangladesh give years ago. Thanks to the Tomorrow Campaign covering 80% of his tuition, he was able to acquire a certificate in Cybersecurity. “Thank you, LaGuardia Tomorrow Campaign, for helping me reach my goals.”

Helena Bhattarai, who moved to United States from Nepal to pursue a career in Nursing. “I chose nursing because I’ve always loved helping people… the LaGuardia Foundation scholarship has helped me tremendously.”

Elkin Guerra emigrated from Colombia one year ago and has been learning English through LaGuardia’s English Language Center, thanks to a Tomorrow Campaign scholarship. “Now I feel better when I speak, which helped me find a job where I’m able to communicate with customers every day.”

Cadyn Atlixqueno, a Criminal Justice major. “Thanks to the Tomorrow Campaign, I was able to get a paid S.O.A.R. internship. I plan to continue my education at John Jay to become a lawyer with all the valuable skills I obtained at S.O.A.R.”

“Our work doesn’t stop with the Tomorrow Campaign,” said Jay Golan, Executive Director of the LaGuardia Community College Foundation. “We are grateful to anyone able to support the Foundation’s Annual Fund—particularly as the current economic landscape creates another obstacle for our students. Now more than ever, LaGuardia students are telling us they need support beyond tuition.”

To support the LaGuardia Community College Foundation, please click here.

• • • •

LaGuardia Community College (LAGCC), a Hispanic-Serving Institution, located in Long Island City, Queens offers more than 50 degrees and certificates, and more than 65 continuing education programs to educate New Yorkers seeking new skills and careers. As an institution of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his advocacy of underserved populations. Since 1971, LaGuardia’s academic programs and support services have advanced the socioeconomic mobility of students while providing them with access to a high quality, affordable college education.


Press Information

For press information, please contact: