Join us online via virtual events or office hours to find out more! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Phi Theta Kappa
Phi Theta Kappa is an International Honor Society for 2 year colleges, spanning all 50 states of the US, as well as Guam, Puerto Rico, Germany, American Samoa, Japan, and Canada. Founded in 1918 to recognize academically high-achieving and motivated community college students, Phi Theta Kappa offers members the opportunity to develop in areas that its founders have designated as the Society’s four Hallmarks: Scholarship, Leadership, Service and Fellowship. Members are also eligible for special Phi Theta Kappa transfer scholarships offered by four-year colleges across the country.
The Phi Theta Kappa Chapter at LaGuardia Community College is named Alpha Theta Phi and it was chartered in 1983. The Chapter, which converted from “club” to “organization” status in 2000, has been a dynamic presence on the college campus, and has been involved in a range of service and scholarly activities. Students who have earned 12 credits with a GPA of 3.50 or higher are eligible to become Phi Theta Kappa members. Qualified students are automatically invited at the end of each semester. There is a one-time membership fee of $70.
According to Phi Theta Kappa’s website (ptk.org):
The purpose of Phi Theta Kappa shall be to recognize and encourage scholarship among two-year college students. To achieve this purpose, Phi Theta Kappa shall provide opportunity for the development of leadership and service, for an intellectual climate for exchange of ideas and ideals, for lively fellowship for scholars, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence.
Phi Theta Kappa's mission is two-fold:
1. Recognize and encourage the academic achievement of two-year college students and;
2. Provide opportunities for individual growth and development through participation in leadership, service and fellowship programming.
The structure of Phi Theta Kappa has multiple levels.
~ Phi Theta Kappa International Headquarters lays out the criteria each chapter must complete in a calendar year to become a Five Star chapter.
~ Officers are elected at the annual International Convention. These officers include the President and VPs from each of the four divisions:
* Division 1 covers from Maine to Virginia and from Germany to Ohio.
* Division 2 covers from Kentucky to Florida and from Georgia to Texas.
* Division 3 covers from North Dakota to Arkansas and from Minnesota to Oklahoma.
* Division 4 covers from Alaska to New Mexico and from Nebraska to Japan.
LaGuardia Community College’s chapter, Alpha Theta Phi, falls under Division 1.
In Division 1, LAGCC’s chapter is a part of the New York Region, which includes all chapters at community colleges around New York State. At the annual Regional Convention in March, all chapters present elect Regional officers, including a president, executive secretary, alumni representative, and district VPs. New York Region is further divided into three districts:
Our chapter, Alpha Theta Phi is in the Southern district of the New York Region.
LaGuardia Community College’s Alpha Theta Phi chapter of Phi Theta Kappa was chartered on January 1, 1983. Our chapter has been a Five Star chapter since 2006. Each April, our chapter elects officers to be in ensure that we complete all criteria laid out by Phi Theta Kappa Headquarters to ensure we remain one of the most active chapter in New York State. The officer positions in our chapter are:
- VP of Programming and Events
- VP of Recruitment and Retention
- Recording Secretary
- Treasurer/SAC Rep
- Media Officer
The Alpha Theta Phi chapter attends these events each year:
- International Convention: April of each year, location rotates around the USA.
- Regional Honors in Action/Leadership Conference: October of each year, location rotates about New York State.
- Regional Convention: March of each year, location rotates about New York State.
- Mock Chapter: June of each year, location rotates about the New York Region Southern District.
Additionally, each Fall and Spring, our chapter hosts an Induction ceremony, where new members (or members who have not yet been inducted) are invited to celebrate their achievement with 2 guests. Following the ceremony, there is a reception to mingle and enjoy your time with family and your fellow chapter members.
Joining Phi Theta Kappa
Phi Theta Kappa is an International Honor Society, for which you pay a one time $70 fee to have access to a professional development group, a scholarship search program, and additional scholarships only available to PTK members. Joining will always be a good line on your resume, but you may not get much benefit out of it unless you are applying for the scholarships or planning on transferring to a 4-year college that gives an automatic scholarship to PTK members. For membership benefits and more information about Phi Theta Kappa, please click HERE.
Students at LAGCC are automatically invited to join Phi Theta Kappa once they have completed 12 credits at LAGCC and have a 3.5GPA. If you have met these criteria, look for an email at your LaGuardia email account and letter in the mail, which contains yours special membership code and instructions on becoming a member. The code expires on a certain date, so be sure to join before that date.
You can find out more about Phi Theta Kappa by checking out our Facebook page or LaGuardia website.
To get the most out of your membership, you should get involved in the chapter. The time you choose to put into the chapter is up to you. You can not be involved at all and still be a member or you can get very involved, as an officer. The time commitment is your choice. Being involved will give you a better experience as a member. Involvement can range from attending general meetings to participating in volunteer activities to being an officer. The time can range from less than 1 hour per week to 8 hours per week.
Some things you can do to be involved:
- Attend your Induction ceremony
- Volunteer at the Induction ceremony
- Become an officer
- Participate in a leadership training course at LAGCC
- Participate in the Honors in Action project
- Participate in the College Project
- Write a blog
- Volunteer at Club fair, New student orientation, or tabling events
- Organize a food drive, book drive, toy drive, etc.
- Organize a volunteer event for members
- Organize a fellowship event for members
If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at email@example.com.
* International Convention: April of each year, location rotates around regions.
* Honors Institute: June of each year, location rotates around regions.
* International Leadership Conference: August of each year, held at HQ in Jackson, MI.
* Regional Conferences: Location determined by chapter bidding.
Please visit our chapter Facebook page for up-to-date event notices.
For membership benefits and more information about Phi Theta Kappa, please click here.