Peer Advisors At Work
Peer Advisors are a friendly face for students, skilled in the use of LaGuardia’s advisement technologies, and a source of practical campus knowledge. They also help the programs or departments in a wide range of ways. Here are some activities the peers are conducting under supervision of faculty and staff:
- helping to plan and deliver advisement events;
- referring students to service areas;
- conducting outreach to select groups of students within majors;
- developing a social media presence for the major and the team;
- visiting classes to talk about their experiences and their academic progress;
- helping students build schedules after faculty have helped them select courses;
- assisting at New Student Orientation and program-specific events;
- providing information to students about internships;
- helping to recruit for clubs;
- connecting student advisees to program faculty.
Peer Advisors gain valuable professional skills, get paid to do meaningful work, and help LaGuardia students succeed. Below is a video created by the Liberal Arts department and Student Affairs staff to promote the Liberal Arts Block Program project. Liberal Arts Peer Advisors Rachel Chambers and Barrette Andrew performed the voiceover heard in the video.