Lagcc Logo

Helpful Travel Information Links

U.S. State Department

The U.S. Department of State website contains information about countries where you might be studying. This site also posts travel warnings issued by the government, public announcements and consular information sheets. In the event of an emergency, consular personnel at U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad and in the U.S. are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to provide assistance to U.S. citizens.

Passport Information

You will need a signed, valid passport, with a complete emergency contact page. Remember that a passport simply identifies you as a United States citizen. Many countries also require a student visa to enter and live in the country. Also, leave photocopies of your passport, itinerary and visa in the care of a trusted relative or friend of yours in the U.S., in case of an emergency while you are abroad.

Center for Disease Control

You should be familiar with the immunizations required and suggested for the area in which you plan to travel.

Exchange Rate

Visit this site to check the most recent US Dollar to Chilean Peso exchange rate.


Students and faculty will be staying in Universidad Central or youth hostel housing. Camping may also be part of either trip.

Visa Information

A passport is required for students who are United States citizens. Students who are not U.S.citizens should contact the nearest Consulate General of Chile to see whether or not a visa is necessary. Instructions for how to obtain a student visa can be found at the Consulate General of Chile’s website: . You may also call 212-980-3366 or e-mail for further instructions. Please contact us if you have any questions about the student visa application process.


©2013 LaGuardia Community College. All rights reserved.