• Get Involved
  • Frequently Asked Questions

  •  01. Are there admissions requirements specifically for students applying from abroad?
    All students apply to LaGuardia Community College using the same application: the CUNY Application. Once you are granted admission to LaGuardia, then you must apply for your I-20.
     02. If I am admitted to LaGuardia, can I defer enrolling if I want to take a gap year or need to satisfy other obligations?
    Yes. You may defer your admission for up to one year. Contact the Admissions office at 718 482-7206 or Admissions@lagcc.cuny.edu, and ask them to reactivate your acceptance for the next semester.
     03. How does the visa process work?
    If you are admitted and decide to enroll at LaGuardia Community College, the visa process is very straightforward. Once you receive the I-20 form from us, you can apply for a visa appointment at your local U.S. embassy, go for an interview and pay the $200 SEVIS fee.
     04. Will I need to have my school documents translated if they are completed in my native language?
    Yes. Official translations must accompany any documents that are not written in English.
     05. Are international students required to take a CUNY placement exam after they have been admitted to LaGuardia?
    Yes. Please review the following link for more information about the CUNY placement exam: Click here.
     06. Do I need to submit an immunization record?
    Yes, all students must submit an immunization record. LaGuardia Community College requires proof of MMR (Measles, Mumps & Rubella) and Meningitis immunity. Information about required shots is available on the Health Center website.
     07. What are the admission deadlines?
    You can check the CUNY application deadline by clicking here.
     08. Do you know of any scholarship and financial aid available for international students?

    The LaGuardia Community College Foundation Scholarship and the Faculty Council Awards and Scholarships accepts international student applicants. However, each scholarship has its own eligibility criteria. Check the respective site for more information.

    Other financial resources are available at these sites:

     09. Does LaGuardia Community College provide health insurance to international students? Is it mandatory? How can I apply?
    At the present time, student health insurance is not mandatory for international students in F-1 status. A list of student health insurance options is provided for informational purposes.
     10. Where can I get advice and free legal assistance with an immigration problem or concern?
    Contact the International Students Office via email at fsinformation@lagcc.cuny.edu or come during student walk-in hours for information and advice on Immigration regulations and maintaining your legal status in the United States. For free legal assistance, you can visit one of the free CUNY immigration centers. Contact the CUNY Citizenship and Immigration Project for information and locations of the free clinics.
     11. Can I work in the United States if I am an International Student?
    Yes, but only on-campus. Your F-1 immigration status permits you to work for 20 hours while school is in session and 40 hours when school is not in session during and your. Click here for information on employment opportunities at LaGuardia.

    Note: As LaGuardia is a part of the larger CUNY community, F-1 students are eligible to work in any of the CUNY campuses.
     12. Are there any other employment opportunities for International Students besides on-campus?
    Besides on-campus employment, F-1 students can apply for CPT (Curricular Practical Training) and OPT (Optional Practical Training). For details and eligibility criteria, go to [insert site].
     13. Are international students required to file and pay income tax while studying in the U.S?

    All international students are required to file income tax forms at the end of the year. If employed or receiving financial aid, F-1 students must file the federal tax form 1040 NR or form 1040 NR EZ each year.

    If you are NOT employed, you still must file form 8843 each year that you are in the US. All forms can be printed from the IRS website.

    The Single Stop USA program in Room C-107 offers FREE tax preparation assistance. Call: 718.482.5135/5129 or email: singlestop@lagcc.cuny.edu.

     14. How can I meet other international students at LaGuardia?
    LaGuardia Community College organizes numerous activities on-campus which can be a great opportunity to meet other students.

    There are a number of different student clubs that you can join. Get more information here.

    Additionally, graduate interns in the International Students Office organize workshops and discussion groups every semester catered specifically to international students’ needs. For more information contact the office in B-117.

    For the Spring 2014 semester, there is a Memoir Writing Workshop and Network towards a Global Self, which can be an excellent way to meet other international students. [Attach flyers for each group]. Contact ctenzin@lagcc.cuny.edu for more information.
     15. How can the International Students Office help me with opening a bank account?
    The International Students Office can provide you with a school enrollment letter and additional information about the requirements for opening a bank account in the U.S.
     16. How do I apply for a social security card?
    To apply for social security card get more information here.

    Follow these steps to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) if in F-1 status:
    1. Complete a Social Security Application Form SS-5 [http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5fs.pdf] before visiting the Social Security Administration Office. 
    2. Submit the application in person at the Social Security Administration’s Office with the required documents. Request a verification receipt of your application. 
    3. Wait approximately two weeks for the Social Security card to arrive in the mail.
    4. Present the Social Security card to employer for review.
    5. Keep original Social Security card for records and in a safe place.
     17. How do I apply for a driver’s license?
    Go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to take the written exam. Bring the following documents with you:
    • Passport
    • F-1 Visa (Not required for Canadian students)
    • Form I-20
    • Form I-94 
    • Student ID
    • Official LaGuardia College transcripts
    • US Social Security Card*/ Letter of ineligibility if you do not have it (ISS can issue you one).
     18. Where do I report a change of address?
    If you’re a current student, then you can change your address on CUNYfirst. If you’re a new student and you need to report a change of address go to the Admissions office in C-102.

    However, you must report the change to International Students Office so we can make the change on your SEVIS record.
     19. Where do I report a change of major?

    If you’re a current student, you can change your major on CUNYfirst. 

    If you’re a new student, you can change your major by going to the Admissions office in C102.

    However, you must report the change by visiting the International Students Office in room B117 so we can make the change on your SEVIS record.
     20. What must I do if I want to transfer to another college?
    If you want to transfer to another school, you must first apply to the college that you want to transfer to. You must also notify the International Students Office of your intention to transfer to another school and give us the name of the new school before your last day of classes. Once you’re admitted to the school of your intention, bring the acceptance letter and the transfer form from the school to our office. We will transfer your records on SEVIS to the school.
  • MyLaGuardia
    your status
  • blackboard
  • CUNYfirst Blue area tab
  • LaGuardia ePortfolio
  • Click Here to Tell VP Baston
    Tell VP Baston