Below you will find a list of frequently asked questions concerning Blackboard and the CUNY Portal. For more helpful guides, visit the "How To's" section of the Student's Area. If you have a problem not answered here, feel free to send us an e-mail at Blackboardsupport@lagcc.cuny.edu
If you are a CUNY student, faculty or staff member, a Blackboard account has been reserved for you. Before using it, you must first set the account up, specifying your account preferences. Blackboard is accessed through your CUNY Portal account.To set up or verify your CUNY Portal accounta) In your web browser, navigate to www.cuny.edub) Click the "LOGIN" link (Located in the top right hand side of the page)c) Select the link "CUNY PORTAL" from the menu.d) For your one-time account set up, click on "Register for a New Account" >> link f) You will be given several options. If you are a Student, click on Student.g)
On the user validation screen, enter your last name (case not
important), your 9-digit Faculty ID number [Social Security number] and
your birth date. Click the Next button.h) On the following screen confirm that the information you have entered is correct. Click Confirm if correct data is entered.
Only one email address can come into Blackboard. Therefore, the email address that is active in the CUNY portal is brought into the Blackboard system. If this address is not the one you use, you can now change it ONLY to a CUNY RELATED EMAIL ADDRESS in Blackboard.
a. In the Home tab, find and click on the Update Email link in the Tools module.b. Enter the new Email twicec. Click the Submit button
To change your e-mail address in the CUNY Portal, go to: https://cunyportal.cuny.edu
• Click the link "My Profile" (Located in the top right hand side of the page)• Click "Modify" to make changes• Select "Email" (Enter an e-mail address)• Click on "Save"
All users information is uploaded into the Blackboard system with info provided by SIMS, this means, users information cannot be manually modified.
In order to permanently change your name in Blackboard, pass by the Registrar's office: C107 to update your student records.
There are few reasons why your courses are not listed in your account.- Be aware that not all instructors use Blackboard as part as their class. Find out whether or not your instructor is planning on using Blackboard during the semester.
- Fix your course module to find your courses: When logging on to Blackboard, from the home page,- Click on the pencil icon in the top right hand side of the module,- Select the course (name or ID) to be displayed in the home page of your Blackboard account, then click submit.-You have been dropped from the course, go to C107 Registar to clear your stop immediately. (Once your stop is cleared in Registrar, allow 24 to 48 hours to be re-enrolled in your Blackboard courses.)
- You can also check for hold messages posted in your CUNYfirst account.
- If you are still unable to see your courses, please stop by our office B-127 or email us at Blackboard Support
This problem is a common issue when using Internet Explorer versions 8 and 9 to access Blackboard.
If students are taking a test using Internet Explorer they may not be able to save answers or receive an error message upon submission. To avoid these issues it is suggested to use Mozilla Firefox
In many cases, the java session has been terminated due to inactivity so the submission is unsuccessful.
There are few things you can do to combat this issue:
- Give the assessment one question at a time. This ensures that the user's java session is continuously updated and the likelihood of the user getting kicked out is reduced.
- Do not select the "force complete" option. Without this option selected, users are able to re-enter the exam from the last point that they saved an answer if they should get kicked out.
This issue only occurs in forums that are graded.
Clicking the "Save Draft" button in a Discussion Board thread will result in an error.
Since it may not always be clear which forums are graded, it is best to avoid clicking the "Save Draft" button. It is a good idea to compose the thread in a text editor outside of Blackboard, where it can be modified and saved. When done composing the thread, paste the text into the thread’s message box and then click the "Submit" button.